How to Save Money on Shipping Breast Milk with UPS
When it comes to shipping breast milk we want to be able to get the package to the recipient as safely and quickly as possible. This means that for many of us we are going to have to pay a little more on shipping costs for air shipping and/or for having heavier packages due insulation, coolers, and refrigerants such as dry ice or ice packs.
The cost of shipping can get pretty costly one time or over the course of multiple shipments. Typically with shipping there are not many opportunities to get any discounts with out using a service like flat rate shipping or having a business account in which a business registration is usually needed.
Well do I have good news for you! UPS is offering 20% off ground shipping and 40% off air shipping to anyone who has a UPS account even if you do not have a registered business. UPS accounts are Free and Easy to sign up for and once signed up you can even use Facebook, Google, Twitter, and Amazon login for quick and easy log in each time.
Here’s all you do:
- Sign up for a UPS.com Free Account
- Once signed up and signed in go to ‘Shipping’
- Follow the steps to create your shipping label.
* You will need to know the measurements of your package and the weight. If you are unsure on how to calculate the weight of your package from home you can use our helpful video. ‘Create a shipping weight estimate for breast milk shipment‘
* I recommend saving all address information so it repopulates for you in future if you create any more labels to that address. That makes creating labels much more efficient each additional time.
- Choose your shipment method and arrival date.
- Your quote should automatically include the discount and you should see the pre-discount and discount quote. If you are not sure or do not see the discount then you can put the promotional code, EASY, into the promo code box and click, “apply”.
- Finally print label and tape to your package. Then drop off at any UPS drop off location.
If you are unsure about your weight choice you can bring to a UPS location and weight it there before printing label.
If your package weighs that much or less you can pull up the mobile code in your account under ‘View Shipping History’ and then click under ‘Actions’ the 3 dots which will expand a menu where you’ll find the option, ‘Get Mobile Code’ and then show to the UPS agent who will print the label for you for FREE and affix it to your package to ship.
If your package weights more by a pound or so you should be fine and UPS will just adjust the invoice they send you after the item has shipped to collect payment for your shipment.
If your package is off by more than a pound or so too much then you can just void the label and redo another one and have them print it for you in store with the mobile code. Since you saved the address information for both yourself and your recipient it will be much quicker to do so.
Once you do this a few times you’ll find it makes shipping breast milk much more convenient while saving on shipping!